Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Dickies!

Dickies @ Southpaw
Park Slope Brooklyn
Friday, 01/03/09

We found a spot about fifty feet from the front door of Southpaw which definitely helped shape the evening. Beer was cheap and cold, and the crowd grew from about 20 people to over 200 people in a matter of minutes. First band to go on was Kitty and the Kowalskis. Girl fronted pop punk/rock that was just average. Not to mention, every time they opened their mouths between songs, they said something that embarrassed me for them.

The Dickies came out to a triumphant drum line. Stan Lee got a huge cheer as did Leonard. The rest of the band was kind of “blah boring” with the exception of the tripped out bass playing gummy bear. (if you were there you know what I am talking about). The band began by sharing their enthusiasm for playing in Queens. Obviously they were not in Queens, so this stirred up the BK kids. Anyway, Their banter was hilarious: from gay jokes to creative improv including a Q&A session (while SL was fixing a shorted amp) that left me cracking up. Then there was the performance. I was very impressed with the sound and the tightness they demonstrated. Leonard did his famous “middle finger in the ear to keep my tone straight” the entire show. Other times he accentuated his lankiness by jumping around flailing his arms and letting his shaggy hair mess his face up. SL was quite active as usual too, throwing his guitar all over the place yet never missing a note. I'd go as far as to say he is one of the greatest leads in punk but that’s another story all together. The songs they picked were perfect, and there were a TON of them. As a man living with ADD, I generally cannot pay full attention start to finish during any concert but this one captured my brain and my heart from the time the curtain opened until it closed. Knights in White Satin sounded fabulous, eat your heart out Moody Blues…Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World made my night though. Can’t ever have me too much Neil Young. Only disappointment, No Fan Mail?!?? Best song ever, what gives? Otherwise it was an energetic, solid performance that left me feeling refreshed and confident in this pack of wild geniuses.

Set List:


Rosemary
Jim Bowie
I'm ok, You're ok
See My Way
Knights in White Satin
Got it at the store
Give it back
Paranoid
Waterslide
Manny Moe and Jack
My Pop the Cop
You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)
Going Homo
Poodle Party
I'm a Chollo
If Stuart Could Talk
Gigantor

ENCORE

Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World
Bannana Splits

Special Thanks to James D for being able to name that tune about 15 notes before I ever can!

No comments: