Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Top 10 Saddest Songs So Far



10)
“Mother” - John Lennon.
This one is a killer. So real and honest you can't help but relate.
"Mother, you had me but I never had you. I wanted you, you didn't want me"


9) ”There is a Light That Never Goes Out” – The Smiths
The concepts of death and loss are very romantic and eerie.
“I never never want to go home
Because I havent got one
Anymore”



8) ”A Letter To Elise” – The Cure
Write the perfect letter to a girl detailing your failure as a man and replace “Elise” with her name.
“There’s nothing else I can really do at all”



7) ”Into My Arms” – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
He touches on religion as usual but something about the pace and the vibe of this song sends me spinning.
“And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true”



6) ”My Way” – Frank Sinatra
Another creepy classic that makes you wonder how your grandparents felt.
“Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.”



5) ”Sluttering (May 4th)” – Jawbreaker
Another bitter break up song, perhaps Blake’s best.
“This is a story you won't tell the kids we'll never have.”



4) ”Hurt” – Johnny Cash (NIN)
The original was corny but held together by really strong lyrics. J. Cash makes you feel his pain.
“I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel”



3) "Mercy Mercy Me” – Marvin Gaye
Marvin knew something was very wrong with the world and talks about it here.
“Ah things ain't what they used to be, no no
Where did all the blue skies go?”



2) “Total Recall” – The Sound
Sad, sad comment on another relationship failure. Singer actually ends up tossing himself in front of a moving train over the same topic.
“But I can see
A distant victory,
A time when you will be with me.”



1) ”It’s Over” – Roy Orbison
I think this is the world’s saddest song. The tone, the vibe, the words, and the epic ending that sends chills down my spine every time I hear it.
“It’s over…”

No comments: