Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jeffo's night off

I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off last night for the first time in a long long time. It was more amazing than I remember. Partly because I was a teenager who talked my way out of attending many days of highschool, and partly because I love the music and music references throughout the movie. Start in Ferris' s room. He has a Cabaret Voltaire poster. I honestly had no idea that anyone liked that band in or around 1985. I sure never liked them. What a prop. You can also see some obvious references such as a Simple Minds poster. Well in 1985 their "don't you forget about me hit" was all over The Breakfast club and cult and pop teen culture around that time. So, it's understandable why that was there eventhough if you ask me, Simple Minds only had two good albums and they didn't happen in or around 1985. He rocks a Damned "Phantasmagoria" poster as well- so cool. There are a bunch of Beatles references which are always nice. He rocks out appropriately to "Twist and Shout" towards the end, one of my favorites that the Beatles covered oh so nicely (thank you Top Notes for the o.g. idea). Ferris does however make a comment in the beginning of the movie in reference to John Lennon's quote: "I don't believe in the Beatles, I just believe in me". referring to Ferris's discontent with people's beliefs in "isms". But he comments further and says: "After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus." I just found this highly debatable subject to be a little too complex for Ferris Beuller, simple highschool kid to tackle. Beatlemaniacs go back and forth on the notion that lennon claims in the song "Glass Onion" (1968 White Album) that "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul." And later on the 1970 Plastic Ono Band album's song "God" he says: "I was the walrus, but now I'm John." completely taking back his original explanation and claiming that his words in "Glass Onion" were created to confuse the public (which had been recently obsessed with John and Paul's relationship and Paul's alleged death - which had been first mentioned in 1969 in "Times-Delphic" a Drake University paper. The conspiracy lives on to this day). So I personally think it was a bold move to have Ferris make a comment like that.
The soundtrack is pretty decent. I love the Dream Academy's instrumental version of The Smiths ""Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" while the crew peruses the museum art. You can't say you don't love the Yello song "Oh Yeah". The lyrics crack me up: Oh Yeah... Oh Yeah... Oh Yeah
The moon... beautiful
The sun... even more beautiful
Oh Yeah... Oh Yeah... Oh Yeah

Beautiful
Oh Yeah... Oh Yeah...

Good time

Hilarious. What a movie.

No comments: