Tuesday, November 17, 2009

We Have Come For The Morning Light



After my pal Dan introduced me to this record, I got to HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS in NYC as fast as I could to grab up a copy. I found a used, clean copy for a fair price and made her mine.

The cover could catch anyone's eye, especially with the gold foil (shown yellow in this picture) on green, the fact that the record is a gate fold, and the presense of occult imagery found throughout the layout. The record took a good two to three listens before really setting in as a great record, but has since been frequenting my platter. The production is perfect for a sound that appears to have been the (acheived) goal for this recording - Imagine dark folk with black metal and noise roots, and demonic clinks and chants echoing from the underworld. This and more all held together by a tastefully melodic (but sometimes harsh) guitar sound and pleasing and surprisingly listenable vocals. It's creepy, it's twisted, it's everything I hoped it would be.

Put it this way: Donovan is to The Shire as Cult of Youth is to Mordor.

This particular pressing is limited to 500 copies.

No comments: